HomeNews and Additional Work
Jump to teaching, grants, community or design and development.
Show all updates
Recent news, talks, press, awards and events
- Oct.: Our work on Programmable Liquid Matter, published at ISS 2017 (see publication PDF) was featured in ACM TechNews, Phys.org, Sci-News, and many more
- Sept.: Part of the team running the new Hololec mixed reality learning environment. See also the news coverage of the facility
- June: Launched our open source Better Together Toolkit that seamlessly links multiple mobiles for disaggregation of services in Cape Town, South Africa, at codeX and University of Cape Town
- Feb.: Awarded Associate Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy
- Jan.: Our work deploying Physical Web beacons in Dharavi was featured in The Times of India, Business Standard, The Hindu, Mumbai Mirror, Quartz India and Catch News, amongst other venues.
- Nov.: Organised the Swansea University Computer Science Student Colloquium at Gregynog
- Oct.: Organised the Swansea University Computer Science Maker Competition
- Aug.: Co-organised a tutorial and workshop as well as presenting our paper at MobileHCI 2015
- April: Co-organised a course and workshop as well as our paper at CHI 2015
- Organised the Swansea University Computer Science Student Colloquium at Gregynog
- “Change Champion” for Swansea University College of Science, and ongoing co-lead of the Science Together theme
Teaching and supervision
- 2014–2019: Introduction to Human-Computer Interaction (CS-200)
- 2014–2016: Mobile Interaction Design (CS-349/CS-M29)
- Research students, current and previous:
Grants and funding
- CHERISH-DE secondment for a collaboration with Admiral Group
- CHERISH-DE secondment for further work around advanced sensors (Co-applicant)
- Research Impact Fund grant to create public space speech installations (Co-applicant)
- CHERISH-DE Escalator grant to support public space speech installations (Co-applicant)
- International Visitor Scheme grant to support a collaboration with Jessica Cauchard around human-robot interaction
- Research Impact Fund grant to support a secondment around advanced sensors (Co-applicant)
- CHERISH-DE secondment around advanced sensors (Co-applicant)
- CHERISH-DE Escalator grant to create an interactive VR installation in the Hafod-Morfa Copperworks (Co-applicant)
- Impact Acceleration Award to fund multi-device mobile work (Co-applicant)
- Global Challenges Research Fund Award: Empowering Base of Pyramid Users through the Physical Web (Co-applicant)
- CHERISH-DE International Mobility grant to support continued work with IIT-Bombay, Mumbai (Co-applicant)
- Research Enabling Fund grant for continued partnership with Université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble (Co-applicant)
- Google IoT Technology Research Award for Physical Web research (Co-applicant).
- Bridging the Gaps grant for prospective partnership with Grenoble universities (Co-applicant)
- US9041562B2 & US9047059B2: Controlling a Voice Site Using Non Standard Haptic Commands. S. Robinson, A. Jain, N. Rajput
- Co-organiser of:
- Co-instructor for:
- Chair / Co-chair of:
- Co-Editor-in-Chief (with Julie R. Williamson) of mUX: The Journal of Mobile User Experience (2015–2017)
- Program Committee member for:
- CHI 2021 and 2018
- CUI 2020
- MobileHCI 2017
- AfriCHI 2016
- Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM) 2015–2017
- DE Sustainable Society Network+ Symposium and Hackathon in Social Media and Interaction
- MobileHCI 2014 Doctoral Consortium (panel member)
- NordiCHI 2014 workshop Personal or Social? Designing Mobile Interactions for Co-located Interaction
- ECSCW 2013 workshop Designing Mobile Face-to-Face Group Interactions
- ECIR 2011 workshop Information Management and Retrieval in Mobile Adhoc Societies
- Reviewing for CHI, CSCW, Ubicomp, MobileHCI, INTERACT, DIS, Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, APCHI, NordiCHI, IUI, MUM, SICDC, IndiaHCI, CUI, Computers in Human Behavior
- Member of Swansea University Computer Science Department's Ethics and Risk Assessment Committee
- Member of the Computational Foundry Athena SWAN team
- CHERISH-DE Escalator fund and Crucible panel member
- Innovation and R&D theme co-lead for Swansea University's Digital Strategy
- Change Champion as part of the Science Together working group for the College's Science 2020 vision
- Co-organiser of the Gregynog undergraduate colloquium and College of Science maker competition
- Co-organiser of the Computational Foundry's Knowledge Exchange Forum
- Member of the EPSRC Associate Peer Review College
Theses and related items
S. Robinson, Eyes-Off Physically Grounded Mobile Interaction.
PhD Thesis, Swansea University, October 2012.
S. Robinson, Heads-up Engagement with the Real World: Multimodal Techniques for Bridging the Physical-Digital Divide.
In CHI 2010 Doctoral Consortium (pages 2895–2898), Atlanta, April 2010.
- S. Robinson,
Fusing the Physical and Digital: Making Maps using Gestures and Sensors.
MSc Dissertation, FIT Lab, University of Wales, Swansea, July 2008.
- S. Robinson,
A Pen-Based Interactive Graphing Tool.
BSc Dissertation, Computer Science Department, University of Wales, Swansea, May 2006.
Selected design and development work
Android apps, all of which are open source (see all apps):
Websites and toolkits, such as: