These instructions show you how to use Zoom for joining BCTCS 2020,
both as an observer and a presenter.
(The instructions are for the Zoom computer client, but the
essentially the same if you use the tablet or phone Zoom apps instead).
Installation and Setup
You will first need to download and install the Zoom client software
(You do not need to create an account - free or otherwise - nor sign in to participate.)
- The Zoom system uses the concept of a meeting.
- Each meeting has a unique Zoom Meeting ID.
- We will be running several steams simultaneously during BCTCS.
- Each stream will have a unique Zoom Meeting ID (that might change daily).
- You can find the Zoom Meeting ID for each session
on the on-line programme.
Joining a BCTCS Stream
- Open the Zoom Client application, and click “Join a Meeting”:
- You can now join the lecture using the Zoom Meeting ID:
- You may have a short wizard to click though.
- Please "join with Computer Audio" when asked.
- You may choose whether you wish to join with Video or not. You can always turn it off later if bandwidth or latency becomes a problem.
- Once you have joined. Ensure your microphone is muted (it should be muted by default). Use the controls in the bottom right of the meeting screen:
- You may unmute your microphone to ask a question (at the appropriate points in the presentations), but please mute it again afterwards. You can temporarily unmute by holding the space bar.
Sit back and enjoy the presentations!
During the conference you will need to switch streams occasionally.
- Leave the Zoom Meeting you are currently in.
- Find the Zoom Meeting ID of the stream you wish to join
(listed on the programme).
- Follow the instructions above under "Joining a BCTCS Stream".
Extra Information for Presenting
If you are a presenter, then you will need to follow these instructions when it is time to give your talk.
- Start your webcam (optional) by clicking the "Start Video" button:
- Unmute yourself.
- Share your screen by clicking the "Share Screen" button:
- You will be presented with a window that allows you to pick a particular screen to share. It is suggested you choose to share your whole desktop.
- A green box will outline your screen (or the particular window) that you have chosen to share. A control bar will also appear at the top of the screen:
(The other participants of the Zoom meeting will not be able to see the control bar.)
- You can now open your slides full screen (or in presenter mode) and carry out your presentation.
- When you are done presenting, click the "Stop Share" button at the top of the screen.
- Turn your camera off and mute your microphone using the buttons in the bottom left corner.